Category: Community

• CCRC Residents Band Together

MaCCRA is the acronym for the Maryland Continuing Care Residents Association. It is the only organization which is solely dedicated to protecting and advancing the interest of residents of continuing care retirement communities (CCRCs). Big deal, you say. Yes, it is a big deal because we have a lot of money invested in the community where…

• Volunteer vs. Retired

Volunteer vs. Retired

“You have committed to so many projects, you don’t have time to be retired.” Dan Boyle I found this quote in a post I never published from 6 years ago. It holds true today. I am not content with the word retired. We need a better word for those of us not working for pay.…

• Field of Honor

The 4th Annual Field of Honor sponsored by Hubbard Funeral Home and Charlestown started with fireworks on Friday night followed by the 5K Race/1 Mile Walk on Saturday morning. Dan and I volunteered for race registration. It was fun to see the young fit men and woman come in for their race numbers and T-Shirts.…

• Living in Community

What can a Benedictine monk tell us about living in community.  A lot, it turns out. Rev. Roman Paur, OSB, St. John’s Abbey, Collegeville, MN, was the keynote speaker at the annual meeting of five retirement communities residents’ council members on April 19.  All are  managed by Erickson Living. As the host Residents’ Council President, I…

• Life Plan Community

Life Plan Community. Does that strike a cord with you? Would you be inclined to consider exploring that living option? Would you even know what it is or what it means?

• Lucky Duck

We had a fun event and fundraiser this afternoon as we watched 350 ducks race to the finish line. Okay, the ducks were plastic and they were pushed along by folks shoving noodles at them. The ducks were all numbered and we had a chance to “adopt” ducks for the event. What a bargain! It was only…

• Leadership in Retirement

I am now the President of the Residents’ Council in our over 2,000 resident continuing care retirement community. Did I forget to mention that? I was elected by the members of the Council at the August meeting. I will finish my three-year term in August 2016. 

• In Touch With Nature

Get in touch with nature is many times suggested as an antidote for what ails you. I have a “secret” spot where I do just that. I like people, but I also like solitude. I found my spot close by the St. Charles apartment building where we live. It has a water feature with a…