Category: Community

• Will the sticky bun melt my baggie?

After an experience in the dining one Sunday morning, I wrote this article for our monthly newspaper, the Sunburst. I have received a positive response from everyone who commented to me. Will the Sticky Bun Melt my Baggie? The Atrium kitchen staff baked over 200 sticky buns for breakfast on Sunday. That is over one…

• What’s in a Name?

What does continuing care retirement community mean to you? Do you think of old, feeble, not for me? So do others. Leading Age joined with Mathers Lifeways in Evanston, Il to come up with a new name for our type of living arrangement. They called it CCRC Namestorm to create a name to replace the…

• Help Kickstart A Project

I don’t remember where I first heard about Kickstarter. It was probably a link from another site back in 2012. The project seeking funding sounded intriguing. Yes, I want one of those, I thought. I will gamble for a few bucks. My credit card isn’t charged until the project meets the funding goal. And so…

• Live Theater, Film and Music

It has been a week of cultural activities for us. Thursday night we attended the Center Stage production of Next to Normal, the rock musical. This Tony winning and Pultizer Prize musical tackles the family dynamics of a bipolar mother and wife. The two-story set is amazing and worth the price of admission. This was…

• Elections, No Not Those

We have a big election coming up next Wednesday. For most of the world, it may not be much but for our community, it means a change in the composition of the Residents’ Council. Seven new council members will be selected out of the 14 candidates. As chair of the Nominating and Elections Committee, I…

• International Extravaganza

Once a year the diversity and inclusion Council at Charlestown holds an International Extravaganza. This year staff were involved with exhibit tables. There were also tasting stations with food samples. Dan and I put together a Celtic Heritage table highlighting the similarilities between the Irish and Scottish heritage.   Posted with Blogsy

• Retire is a Misnomer

When I think about this past month, the term retire just doesn’t fit. The dictionary says RETIRE means leave one’s job and cease to work, typically upon reaching the normal age for leaving employment. It certainly doesn’t reflect what is happening with me. I was scrambling to complete tasks related to chairing the Nominating and…

• Harmonious Living

What does it mean to live in community? Everyone has their own version of what it means. It helps me to think about the Golden Rule. Always look for the best in others and avoid gossip. There are always people who are unhappy about one thing or another. Management must get frustrated with some of…