Category: Community

• Elderhostel Lifelong Learning Institutes

Elderhostel Lifelong Learning Institutes

Charlestown turned 35 this year and our Elderhostel Lifelong Learning Institute (ELLIC) at Charlestown turned 10 years old. When the younger generation goes back to school so do we. The catalog comes out on September 6 and by the end of day many classroom programs are fill with waiting lists. The Steering Committee wrote its…

• Working Again But No Pay

Working Again But No Pay

My volunteer work is like a flashback to my paid work days. As the newly elected President of the National Continuing Care Residents Association (NaCCRA), I am doing some association management tasks again. The Board of Directors are all residents of CCRCs from east, west, north, and south. Two members are in their 90s. Each community…

• Who Represents Us?

[et_pb_section bb_built=”1″][et_pb_row][et_pb_column type=”4_4″][et_pb_text _builder_version=”3.0.62″ background_layout=”light” text_orientation=”left” border_style=”solid”] Who looks after the interests of residents living in CCRCs. How about other residents. The Maryland Continuing Care Residents Association  (MaCCRA) is the statewide group of CCRC residents formed into chapters. Right now there are 17 chapters in Maryland CCRCs with many individual members in other communities. I…

• Five Year Anniversary

Five Year Anniversary

• Task Force Gets Award

Task Force Gets Award

It was a big surprise for me to be called up to the front of the conference center on March 21 to receive the Erickson Living Values Cup on behalf of the Harmonious Living Task Force. This was the first time the cup which recognizes Charlestown Departments exemplifying the Erickson Living Values.

• Four Years with Apple CHUG

The Apple Charlestown User Group also is known affectionally CHUG marked its fourth anniversary this month. It is hard to believe that I have been organizing programs, doing the website, and sending out notices for four years. Our little group has grown from the first meeting with 25 people in attendance to a mailing list…

• Can’t We Just Get Along

Can’t We Just Get Along

We are a diverse community—in beliefs, experience, and background. There is an underlying tension that surfaces when differing viewpoints intersect in the public arena. Case in point; prayer and scripture on the closed-circuit TV channel. A recognized group held devotions during Advent and Lent last year. Some other residents reacted saying it was not appropriate…

• Renovations on Main Street

Charlestown has been a CCRC since 1983. Before that it was a minor seminary for the Sulpician order. The historic buildings date to 1909 so you can imagine the renovation that took place in 1983 when John Erickson opened it as a continuing care retirement community.