Category: Community

• Community Living

I serve on the Residents’ Council of a large CCRC in the Mid-Atlantic area. Group work doesn’t go away in retirement. It continues with 18 committees focusing on dining, finance, housekeeping, conservation, health, communications. grounds, safety and security. I’ll stop there. I don’t want to bore you any more. So even though we have very…

• Too Busy

Time flies when I am busy so it is no surprise that I have not been making consistent entries in my blog. With my election to the Resident Council, I now have more meetings to attend. My month includes the Resident Council meeting, the Work Session, and the Communications Committee that I now chair. I…

• Elections

I got elected! That’s to the Charlestown Resident Council. After a month long “campaign,” residents voted for 7 of the 13 candidates. Now the fun begins.

• Living in Community

My blog has focused on our travel and life adventures, but now that we are settled at Charlestown Retirement Community I am going to take a different tack. Life in “community” is different from living in a single family home or even in an impersonal apartment building. We are now living in community with some…

• International Event

Harper Griswold asked me to help him setup the Scottish Society table for the 3rd Annual International Extravaganza. Several other nationalities were represented by residents displaying items from their countries of heritage or where they worked or did mission work. Ethic food samples were very popular with lines and the entertainment room was standing room…

• Bereavement Services

I wrote about my loss of sister, mother and father a few months ago. One of the things that has been helpful for me to understand the grieving process and hear other stories has been the monthly support group sponsored by Professional Health Resources Bereavement Support Services. Fred Schneider, LCSW-C is the coordinator and leads…

• Community Living is Great

Life is easy living in community. With the winter almost over, we can start walking outside from building to building rather than talking the walkways. All the buildings are connected with walkways so traveling from our apartment to the medical center or the fitness center can be accomplished inside. I can bank, shop for light…

• Wheels and More Wheels

Charlestown is a big community with over 1700 folks living just in independent living. We have shuttle buses that take us around the campus and to the local stores and doctors offices. At the recent Resident Council meeting, we learned that Charlestown owns 2 ambulances, 8 service trucks, 7 pick-up trucks, 5 vans, 12 sedans/SUVs,…